Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 October 2013

Thought For The Day

   When I think of the Prisoner I think of him being Six, or Number One, and how in ‘Free For All’ he was elected as the new Number Two. And later in ‘Once Upon A Time’ how he was regressed to the age of 5. And how clever Six is when finally realising his wrist watch is the wrong time, that that there’s one hours difference between Polish and English time. To discover that his dreams were being manipulated. To realise that he had been conditioned to be Number Twelve. Clever enough to cause the self-destruction of the General! To build his own sea-going raft, make a compass and use it to navigate his way back to England. Then to discover who the prisoners and who the warders. To use Number Two’s paranoia against him to bring him down, to turn the tables on Number Two, and see him denounced as being Unmutual! To survive a mind transference, to tell a fairy tale, to survive the ultimate test, and finally escape back to London. But Number 6 is just as much a prisoner at the end as he was at the beginning. And this reminds me of a poem by A. A. Milne

“When I was one I had just begun
When I was two I was nearly new
When I was three I was hardly me
When I was four I was not much more
When I was five I was just alive
But now I am six, I'm as clever as clever;
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.”

                                “Now we are Six” – A. A. Milne

Be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment